It is Black History Month. Here are some great reads to read right now!
#1-I Dreamt It Was Heaven- written by Leonce Gaiter
“Hanging Judge” Isaac C. Parker; Notorious half-black half-Indian outlaw Cherokee Bill; one-quarter Cherokee “gentlemen bandit” Henry Starr, relative of the notorious Belle Starr; and the worst of the lot—half-black, half-Indian Rufus Buck. These real-life historical figures collided during the fateful summer of 1895, when young Rufus Buck formed a gang of teens to drive whites from Indian Territory once and for all. His vicious rampage is legend. Learn more at http://buckrampage.com
Never Dead written by Jumata Jones
Emerson McGee has spent most of his life living with a secret, and the first-year law student’s menacing struggle with his sexuality is only the half of it. His wife, Danielle, has her own scars of adolescent heartache—which she thinly veils behind her façade as an upper-middle class princess. The newlywed’s cookie-cutter marriage is abruptly interrupted when they make a reluctant move into the quaint house Emerson inherited from his deceased grandmother. Unbeknownst to them, there’s already something else living there: A malevolent entity hell-bent on exposing its connection to Emerson and the tragic secret they share. While a mysterious narrator recounts the details of his abject life, the McGees’ vengeful poltergeist pulls Danielle deeper into a mystery that has haunted an impoverished ghetto in South Baton Rouge—aptly called “‘Da Bottom”—for nearly a decade, and spills into the provocative world of New Orleans hoodoo. Before its final scare, Never Dead concludes with a bloody twist the McGees never saw coming.
1. @_raiiney helping me put the sausage veggie medley into the processor earlier today for the @tylerflorence stuffing/spatchcock turkey! #success …
1 of 16
2. Orange Glazed Chicken Wings… First test. #hometestkitchen #theseasonedlife
2 of 16
3. Jerk turkey w mashed nutmeg squash. Sweet and savory! #theseasonedlife … (Side note: the portions are small because they’re tasting plates, eating all day LOL) 🐷💛💛💛
3 of 16
4. Done! Black pepper beef and broccoli, curry fried rice, honey shrimp and chicken lettuce wraps…. #homemade #theseasonedlife no takeout, takeout.
4 of 16
5. Made these insane porterhouse steaks with shallot and garlic. #theseasonedlife
5 of 16
6. Celebrating the oscars and my first go round as a judge on #grocerygames by using my Parmesan wheel @wholefoods gifted me!!! Pasta Carbonara w scratch made pasta!!!! (Tune in at 8pm west coast!!! On @foodnetwork )
6 of 16
7. Dinner is in full effect… Seafood pasta on its way.
7 of 16
8. Done! 😋😋😋
8 of 16
9. Perfectly southern with a little Cali flare!!! Topped my porchetta biscuit sandwich with a fried egg, red pepper jam, crystal hot sauce mayo and a drizzle of honey! Ahhhhhhhhhhh
9 of 16
10. Successful test day! They’re sweet, Super sticky and tender. Thanks for tasting @princessmom2363 !!! 😊😊😍
10 of 16
11. #theseasonedlife sweet chili shrimp with jicama, Serrano and a whole lot of love. Quick 10 minute dish. No #iceberg or #butterlettuce at the grocery store! What great travesty. 😂😂🤓
11 of 16
12. Before the roasting began! @amandahaascooks thank you so much for making our Christmas wishes come true alongside @williamssonoma #primerib
12 of 16
13. My pea soup with Kerrygold herb butter seared scallops!!!! #christmas2015 #theseasonedlife
13 of 16
14. My Lobster Salad w Spicy Serrano Avocado dressing! #FTW I think this one will more than pass for the cookbook! Sooo much flavor! In a salad at that!
14 of 16
15. Pillows of warm toasty mallow, pecans and brown sugar. Sweet potato casserole. #classic
15 of 16
16. Banana bread … Again! 🍌🍌🍌
16 of 16
Continue reading Elev8 Freedom Friday: Books To Read Right Now!
Chef Curry: Every Time Ayesha Curry Was The Ultimate IG Foodie