THE SUNDAY SCHOOL OVERVIEW WILL FEATURE HIGHLIGHTS OF THE LESSON EACH WEEK. BIBLICAL TRANSLATIONS WILL VARY, BUT THE MAIN RESOURCE WILL BE THE TOWNSEND PRESS SUNDAY SCHOOL COMMENTARY, 91ST EDITION. THIS FEATURE IS DESIGNED TO BE OF HELP TO THOSE WHO CANNOT ATTEND THEIR LOCALCHURCH AND/OR SUNDAY SCHOOL.
Lesson Title: WOMAN OF SAMARIA
Printed Text: John 4:7-15, 23-26, 28-30
Key Verse: John 4:14 (NIV)
But whoever drinks the water I give him will never thirst. Indeed, the water I give him will become in him a spring of water welling up to eternal life.
Source: Townsend Press Sunday School Commentary 2011-2012
UNIFYING LESSON PRINCIPLE:
Our lives can be shaped by public perception and reputation. How can our lives be turned around? In his acceptance of the Samaritan woman, Jesus restored her life.
Jesus was able to overcome the identity crisis and social wounding the Samaritan woman had experienced. Jesus introduced the Samaritan woman to the living water of God. To know that God cares is “living water.” To discover that worship is an open encounter with God not bound by race, class, or social position is “living water.” To worship God in “spirit and truth” and be liberated to a new vision of self in the world is “living water.” The Samaritan woman was confused at all levels of relationship with God. When she discovered that God’s love and Spirit were free gifts to all, without conditions, the Samaritan woman was set free.
We meet people daily like the woman of Samaria. They have endured the language of sexism and racism and may no longer believe that there is true love and care in the world. Life is a broken narrative—and these people are lonely, isolated, and desperate to encounter a healing discourse, a prophetic compassion that humanizes life in the midst of their existential pain. They need “living water” in order to turn their lives around.
Loving and liberating God, lead us to the well of living water. Heal our souls of racial and gender hostilities that keep us from worshipping God in Spirit and in truth. In Jesus’ name we pray. Amen.
WORD POWER: Living Water—the life-restoring flow of God’s love in our world. It is the incarnation, habitation, crucifixion, and resurrection of Jesus Christ, the power of God.
Also On Old School 95.5:
Chef Curry: Every Time Ayesha Curry Was The Ultimate IG Foodie
16 photos Launch gallery
1. @_raiiney helping me put the sausage veggie medley into the processor earlier today for the @tylerflorence stuffing/spatchcock turkey! #success …
1 of 16
2. Orange Glazed Chicken Wings… First test. #hometestkitchen #theseasonedlife
2 of 16
3. Jerk turkey w mashed nutmeg squash. Sweet and savory! #theseasonedlife … (Side note: the portions are small because they’re tasting plates, eating all day LOL) 🐷💛💛💛
3 of 16
4. Done! Black pepper beef and broccoli, curry fried rice, honey shrimp and chicken lettuce wraps…. #homemade #theseasonedlife no takeout, takeout.
4 of 16
5. Made these insane porterhouse steaks with shallot and garlic. #theseasonedlife
5 of 16
6. Celebrating the oscars and my first go round as a judge on #grocerygames by using my Parmesan wheel @wholefoods gifted me!!! Pasta Carbonara w scratch made pasta!!!! (Tune in at 8pm west coast!!! On @foodnetwork )
6 of 16
7. Dinner is in full effect… Seafood pasta on its way.
7 of 16
8. Done! 😋😋😋
8 of 16
9. Perfectly southern with a little Cali flare!!! Topped my porchetta biscuit sandwich with a fried egg, red pepper jam, crystal hot sauce mayo and a drizzle of honey! Ahhhhhhhhhhh
9 of 16
10. Successful test day! They’re sweet, Super sticky and tender. Thanks for tasting @princessmom2363 !!! 😊😊😍
10 of 16
11. #theseasonedlife sweet chili shrimp with jicama, Serrano and a whole lot of love. Quick 10 minute dish. No #iceberg or #butterlettuce at the grocery store! What great travesty. 😂😂🤓
11 of 16
12. Before the roasting began! @amandahaascooks thank you so much for making our Christmas wishes come true alongside @williamssonoma #primerib
12 of 16
13. My pea soup with Kerrygold herb butter seared scallops!!!! #christmas2015 #theseasonedlife
13 of 16
14. My Lobster Salad w Spicy Serrano Avocado dressing! #FTW I think this one will more than pass for the cookbook! Sooo much flavor! In a salad at that!
14 of 16
15. Pillows of warm toasty mallow, pecans and brown sugar. Sweet potato casserole. #classic
15 of 16
16. Banana bread … Again! 🍌🍌🍌
16 of 16