SUNDAY SCHOOL WEEKLY OVERVIEW – 04/29/2012
THE SUNDAY SCHOOL OVERVIEW WILL FEATURE HIGHLIGHTS OF THE LESSON EACH WEEK. BIBLICAL TRANSLATIONS WILL VARY, BUT THE MAIN RESOURCE WILL BE THE TOWNSEND PRESS SUNDAY SCHOOL COMMENTARY, 91ST EDITION. THIS FEATURE IS DESIGNED TO BE OF HELP TO THOSE WHO CANNOT ATTEND THEIR LOCAL CHURCH AND/OR SUNDAY SCHOOL.
Lesson Title: HEALING THE BLIND MAN
Printed Text: John 9:1-17
Key Verse: John 9:16 (NIV)
Some of the Pharisees said, “This man is not from God, for he does not keep the Sabbath.” But others asked, “How can a sinner do such miraculous signs?” So they were divided.
Source: Townsend Press Sunday School Commentary 2011-2012
UNIFYING LESSON PRINCIPLE:
People’s critical personal needs often outweigh the rules and regulations made by other human beings. How do we decide which priorities in life come first? Jesus put the blind man’s need to see before the Jewish rules about Sabbath observance.
In our lesson today, we find the Pharisees placing more importance upon their traditions and laws than they did the people for whom the traditions nd laws were established. This behavior is still more common than one might imagine, because people tend to pay more attention to what others cannot do rather than who they were created to be.
People will go through great lengths to preserve the legitimacy of their traditions. Jesus understood that and thus chose to operate out of a spirit of courage, placing a higher value on persons than He did on traditions, laws, or cultic restrictions.
Lord, help us to learn how to value people over systems, traditions, and things. In Jesus’ name we pray. Amen.
WORD POWER: Blind (Greek: tuphlos [toof los]) –This is derived from the Greek word for “pride”. Self-conceit and pride obscure the truth like smoke or fog obscures the road while driving. The prideful person is blind to things that are obvious to everyone.
Also On Old School 95.5:
Chef Curry: Every Time Ayesha Curry Was The Ultimate IG Foodie
16 photos Launch gallery
1. @_raiiney helping me put the sausage veggie medley into the processor earlier today for the @tylerflorence stuffing/spatchcock turkey! #success …
1 of 16
2. Orange Glazed Chicken Wings… First test. #hometestkitchen #theseasonedlife
2 of 16
3. Jerk turkey w mashed nutmeg squash. Sweet and savory! #theseasonedlife … (Side note: the portions are small because they’re tasting plates, eating all day LOL) 🐷💛💛💛
3 of 16
4. Done! Black pepper beef and broccoli, curry fried rice, honey shrimp and chicken lettuce wraps…. #homemade #theseasonedlife no takeout, takeout.
4 of 16
5. Made these insane porterhouse steaks with shallot and garlic. #theseasonedlife
5 of 16
6. Celebrating the oscars and my first go round as a judge on #grocerygames by using my Parmesan wheel @wholefoods gifted me!!! Pasta Carbonara w scratch made pasta!!!! (Tune in at 8pm west coast!!! On @foodnetwork )
6 of 16
7. Dinner is in full effect… Seafood pasta on its way.
7 of 16
8. Done! 😋😋😋
8 of 16
9. Perfectly southern with a little Cali flare!!! Topped my porchetta biscuit sandwich with a fried egg, red pepper jam, crystal hot sauce mayo and a drizzle of honey! Ahhhhhhhhhhh
9 of 16
10. Successful test day! They’re sweet, Super sticky and tender. Thanks for tasting @princessmom2363 !!! 😊😊😍
10 of 16
11. #theseasonedlife sweet chili shrimp with jicama, Serrano and a whole lot of love. Quick 10 minute dish. No #iceberg or #butterlettuce at the grocery store! What great travesty. 😂😂🤓
11 of 16
12. Before the roasting began! @amandahaascooks thank you so much for making our Christmas wishes come true alongside @williamssonoma #primerib
12 of 16
13. My pea soup with Kerrygold herb butter seared scallops!!!! #christmas2015 #theseasonedlife
13 of 16
14. My Lobster Salad w Spicy Serrano Avocado dressing! #FTW I think this one will more than pass for the cookbook! Sooo much flavor! In a salad at that!
14 of 16
15. Pillows of warm toasty mallow, pecans and brown sugar. Sweet potato casserole. #classic
15 of 16
16. Banana bread … Again! 🍌🍌🍌
16 of 16