Chris Rock interviews are always a treat and a good source of insight with sprinkles of comedy throughout. In his latest Q&A with Details, the comedian talks why he disagrees with Bill Cosby on Travyon Martin, why credit is bad for you, what he feels killed Whitney Houston, and why Eddie Murphy may never tour again.
Check out the excerpts below:
DETAILS: Is it too soon to make George Zimmerman-Trayvon Martin jokes? Chris Rock: There’s no joke there, unfortunately. It’s sad. When you get old, it’s like, “Damn it, I’ve seen this.” I’m from Bed-Stuy. I marched for Yusuf Hawkins, you know? I don’t totally agree with Bill Cosby. He said it wasn’t racial, it’s a gun issue. Well, it’s a gun-racial issue. You know what makes you approach a six-foot-three black guy in the middle of the night? A gun. Paul Blart’s not supposed to have a gun.
DETAILS: You’re working on a documentary called Credit Is the Devil. Why that topic? Chris Rock: Because credit is the devil. Dude, I’m rich—and I live in fucking Jersey. I had two cars in 1996, and I got two cars now. I live way below my means.
DETAILS: That’s sad. What did you think when you heard about Whitney Houston’s death? Chris Rock: I’d known Whitney a little bit. She’s not dead because she was an addict. She’s dead because she was an addict who kept getting money. Chris Farley’s dead because he was an addict with 50 grand in his pocket.
DETAILS: Do you think Murphy will ever tour again? Chris Rock: Barring financial ruin, I don’t think so. I think we’ll see a Richard Pryor hologram on tour before we see Eddie Murphy.
DETAILS: Does it bum you out to see him in less-than-successful films? Chris Rock: We all do stuff that doesn’t work. It bums me out when I’m at his house and he’s making a bunch of people laugh and it’s so effortless. His Obama impression? Amazing. DETAILS: What’s the secret to making a marriage work? Chris Rock: I don’t know any more than anybody else. You’ve just gotta want to be there.
1. @_raiiney helping me put the sausage veggie medley into the processor earlier today for the @tylerflorence stuffing/spatchcock turkey! #success …
1 of 16
2. Orange Glazed Chicken Wings… First test. #hometestkitchen #theseasonedlife
2 of 16
3. Jerk turkey w mashed nutmeg squash. Sweet and savory! #theseasonedlife … (Side note: the portions are small because they’re tasting plates, eating all day LOL) 🐷💛💛💛
3 of 16
4. Done! Black pepper beef and broccoli, curry fried rice, honey shrimp and chicken lettuce wraps…. #homemade #theseasonedlife no takeout, takeout.
4 of 16
5. Made these insane porterhouse steaks with shallot and garlic. #theseasonedlife
5 of 16
6. Celebrating the oscars and my first go round as a judge on #grocerygames by using my Parmesan wheel @wholefoods gifted me!!! Pasta Carbonara w scratch made pasta!!!! (Tune in at 8pm west coast!!! On @foodnetwork )
6 of 16
7. Dinner is in full effect… Seafood pasta on its way.
7 of 16
8. Done! 😋😋😋
8 of 16
9. Perfectly southern with a little Cali flare!!! Topped my porchetta biscuit sandwich with a fried egg, red pepper jam, crystal hot sauce mayo and a drizzle of honey! Ahhhhhhhhhhh
9 of 16
10. Successful test day! They’re sweet, Super sticky and tender. Thanks for tasting @princessmom2363 !!! 😊😊😍
10 of 16
11. #theseasonedlife sweet chili shrimp with jicama, Serrano and a whole lot of love. Quick 10 minute dish. No #iceberg or #butterlettuce at the grocery store! What great travesty. 😂😂🤓
11 of 16
12. Before the roasting began! @amandahaascooks thank you so much for making our Christmas wishes come true alongside @williamssonoma #primerib
12 of 16
13. My pea soup with Kerrygold herb butter seared scallops!!!! #christmas2015 #theseasonedlife
13 of 16
14. My Lobster Salad w Spicy Serrano Avocado dressing! #FTW I think this one will more than pass for the cookbook! Sooo much flavor! In a salad at that!
14 of 16
15. Pillows of warm toasty mallow, pecans and brown sugar. Sweet potato casserole. #classic
15 of 16
16. Banana bread … Again! 🍌🍌🍌
16 of 16
Continue reading Chris Rock Talks Trayvon Martin, Eddie Murphy, and Whitney Houston’s Death
Chef Curry: Every Time Ayesha Curry Was The Ultimate IG Foodie