Iyanla Vanzant doesn’t appreciate the insinuation that she exploited the recent drama between Evelyn Lozada and Chad Johnson for her new TV venture, Iyanla, Fix My Life. The OWN TV personality tells theGrio that it was Evelyn who reached out to her. You know, because some of your aunties and cousins were giving the cast members of Basketball Wives hell…hence the need for an image reboost.
According to Iyanla, all guests are selected based on letters penned to her and what came after is merely coincidence.
“She wrote me, just like every other guest,” Vanzant said, addressing concerns that it might have been too soon to discuss Lozada’s personal crisis on national television.
“That’s an indication of willingness.”
Vanzant’s interview with Lozada was particularly unique given it was filmed in two parts: the first prior to Lozada and Johnson’s explosive domestic brawl, and the second, afterwards. The downward spiral of Lozada’s marriage became a widespread topic of public fancy, and Lozada was not spared any infamy. Appearing on Vanzant’s show,
Lozada detailed the story of the altercation, and acknowledged her intention to change her public image. The opportune and sensitive subject matter captivated audiences, and likely was a catalyst to the show’s ratings blitz.
Nevertheless, Vanzant rejects any criticisms that she may have been capitalizing on Lozada’s crisis for her own benefit.
“The show was done prior to the upheaval with her and Chad, and it was scheduled to be the third show, not the first show,” Vanzant explained. “The reason it was the first show was, because of the upheaval with her and Chad, it was timely…And so, you know, at my age, I can’t care what people say, and most of it, I forget.”
Furthermore, Vanzant told her audience at the screening that Lozada’s story reflects the core of her series’ theme – “life happens to everybody” – and that her intention with the first two episodes was to show young women who idolize reality stars that money, power and status can still equate to the same problems as those living “in the projects.”
Noted Vanzant, “Stupidity doesn’t care about your income level.”
1. @_raiiney helping me put the sausage veggie medley into the processor earlier today for the @tylerflorence stuffing/spatchcock turkey! #success …
1 of 16
2. Orange Glazed Chicken Wings… First test. #hometestkitchen #theseasonedlife
2 of 16
3. Jerk turkey w mashed nutmeg squash. Sweet and savory! #theseasonedlife … (Side note: the portions are small because they’re tasting plates, eating all day LOL) 🐷💛💛💛
3 of 16
4. Done! Black pepper beef and broccoli, curry fried rice, honey shrimp and chicken lettuce wraps…. #homemade #theseasonedlife no takeout, takeout.
4 of 16
5. Made these insane porterhouse steaks with shallot and garlic. #theseasonedlife
5 of 16
6. Celebrating the oscars and my first go round as a judge on #grocerygames by using my Parmesan wheel @wholefoods gifted me!!! Pasta Carbonara w scratch made pasta!!!! (Tune in at 8pm west coast!!! On @foodnetwork )
6 of 16
7. Dinner is in full effect… Seafood pasta on its way.
7 of 16
8. Done! 😋😋😋
8 of 16
9. Perfectly southern with a little Cali flare!!! Topped my porchetta biscuit sandwich with a fried egg, red pepper jam, crystal hot sauce mayo and a drizzle of honey! Ahhhhhhhhhhh
9 of 16
10. Successful test day! They’re sweet, Super sticky and tender. Thanks for tasting @princessmom2363 !!! 😊😊😍
10 of 16
11. #theseasonedlife sweet chili shrimp with jicama, Serrano and a whole lot of love. Quick 10 minute dish. No #iceberg or #butterlettuce at the grocery store! What great travesty. 😂😂🤓
11 of 16
12. Before the roasting began! @amandahaascooks thank you so much for making our Christmas wishes come true alongside @williamssonoma #primerib
12 of 16
13. My pea soup with Kerrygold herb butter seared scallops!!!! #christmas2015 #theseasonedlife
13 of 16
14. My Lobster Salad w Spicy Serrano Avocado dressing! #FTW I think this one will more than pass for the cookbook! Sooo much flavor! In a salad at that!
14 of 16
15. Pillows of warm toasty mallow, pecans and brown sugar. Sweet potato casserole. #classic