If art actually imitated life you’d see shows where men took care of their kids (that were good) and movies where threats to America were not always people of color. Unfortunately, warped perceptions rule the day in Hollywood and the folks at Cracked.com have pointed out some of the biggest stereotypes in movie-making.
For example, who didn’t cringe at the end of Independence Day when the various nations around the world defeated the aliens and when they panned to an African nation they were jumping up down with spears? In was 1996 for crying out loud. Jeff Goldblum gave an extraterrestrial computer system a virus with a laptop computer and folks in Africa are celebrating with spears?
Apparently, this barren land is the closest thing the aliens could find to a major population center in Africa. That’s because for Hollywood, the entire continent hasn’t advanced much since Jesus was still around. The opening to Casino Royale, for instance, introduces us to Africa with the image of a bunch of black guys betting on a fight between a mongoose and a snake…
…In the same way that Hollywood needs to dumb down a novel to turn it into a hit film, they also dumb down Africa’s reality, because they assume that you’d be bored by a realistic portrayal of the continent (or you simply wouldn’t believe it). They do have things like poverty and corruption and giraffes in Africa, but they also have universities and industries and modern cities, like Nairobi…
The other stereotypes they address are the white people playing Asians (a la The Last Samurai) and all gay people having to die. Definitely makes you go “hmmmm?”
1. @_raiiney helping me put the sausage veggie medley into the processor earlier today for the @tylerflorence stuffing/spatchcock turkey! #success …
1 of 16
2. Orange Glazed Chicken Wings… First test. #hometestkitchen #theseasonedlife
2 of 16
3. Jerk turkey w mashed nutmeg squash. Sweet and savory! #theseasonedlife … (Side note: the portions are small because they’re tasting plates, eating all day LOL) 🐷💛💛💛
3 of 16
4. Done! Black pepper beef and broccoli, curry fried rice, honey shrimp and chicken lettuce wraps…. #homemade #theseasonedlife no takeout, takeout.
4 of 16
5. Made these insane porterhouse steaks with shallot and garlic. #theseasonedlife
5 of 16
6. Celebrating the oscars and my first go round as a judge on #grocerygames by using my Parmesan wheel @wholefoods gifted me!!! Pasta Carbonara w scratch made pasta!!!! (Tune in at 8pm west coast!!! On @foodnetwork )
6 of 16
7. Dinner is in full effect… Seafood pasta on its way.
7 of 16
8. Done! 😋😋😋
8 of 16
9. Perfectly southern with a little Cali flare!!! Topped my porchetta biscuit sandwich with a fried egg, red pepper jam, crystal hot sauce mayo and a drizzle of honey! Ahhhhhhhhhhh
9 of 16
10. Successful test day! They’re sweet, Super sticky and tender. Thanks for tasting @princessmom2363 !!! 😊😊😍
10 of 16
11. #theseasonedlife sweet chili shrimp with jicama, Serrano and a whole lot of love. Quick 10 minute dish. No #iceberg or #butterlettuce at the grocery store! What great travesty. 😂😂🤓
11 of 16
12. Before the roasting began! @amandahaascooks thank you so much for making our Christmas wishes come true alongside @williamssonoma #primerib
12 of 16
13. My pea soup with Kerrygold herb butter seared scallops!!!! #christmas2015 #theseasonedlife
13 of 16
14. My Lobster Salad w Spicy Serrano Avocado dressing! #FTW I think this one will more than pass for the cookbook! Sooo much flavor! In a salad at that!
14 of 16
15. Pillows of warm toasty mallow, pecans and brown sugar. Sweet potato casserole. #classic
15 of 16
16. Banana bread … Again! 🍌🍌🍌
16 of 16
Continue reading Africa Is Uncivilized And 5 Other Insane Hollywood Stereotypes
Chef Curry: Every Time Ayesha Curry Was The Ultimate IG Foodie