Beyoncé and Jay-Z won’t be able to trademark the name of their daughter, Blue Ivy. At least, not in the way they initially thought to. Indeed, the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office has ruled the couple can’t trademark the name “Blue Ivy,” allowing the Boston wedding planner Blue Ivy who launched her 2009 business with the same name the right to continue using it.
The couple filed a petition to trademark the name “Blue Ivy” shortly after their daughter was born in January, hoping to possibly use it for a line of baby-related products, including carriages, diaper bags and baby cosmetics. Meanwhile, Veronica Alexandra, who started Blue Ivy in 2009, filed her own petition to trademark the name. Rollingstone.com reports that the Patent Office ruling means Alexandra can use “Blue Ivy” for event and wedding planning and related marketing and advertising. Beyoncé and Jay-Z can use the name for other potential business endeavors, though.
“I had to trademark,” Alexandra said of her event business Blue Ivy, which she opened in 2009. The trademark drama started in January when Beyoncé and Jay-Z named their baby girl Blue Ivy. At the time, Blue Ivy business owner Alexandra was thrilled (her website even has a picture of them, calling the couple “our SOUL MATE.” She joked to us that she’d love to plan the child’s first birthday party. But shortly after Beyoncé’s daughter was born and a fashion designer attempted to trademark the Blue Ivy name, the celebrity parents filed to protect it for themselves. That’s when Alexandra realized that she’d also have to trademark the name to protect her business. She said she wouldn’t have sought out the trademark otherwise.
1. @_raiiney helping me put the sausage veggie medley into the processor earlier today for the @tylerflorence stuffing/spatchcock turkey! #success …
1 of 16
2. Orange Glazed Chicken Wings… First test. #hometestkitchen #theseasonedlife
2 of 16
3. Jerk turkey w mashed nutmeg squash. Sweet and savory! #theseasonedlife … (Side note: the portions are small because they’re tasting plates, eating all day LOL) 🐷💛💛💛
3 of 16
4. Done! Black pepper beef and broccoli, curry fried rice, honey shrimp and chicken lettuce wraps…. #homemade #theseasonedlife no takeout, takeout.
4 of 16
5. Made these insane porterhouse steaks with shallot and garlic. #theseasonedlife
5 of 16
6. Celebrating the oscars and my first go round as a judge on #grocerygames by using my Parmesan wheel @wholefoods gifted me!!! Pasta Carbonara w scratch made pasta!!!! (Tune in at 8pm west coast!!! On @foodnetwork )
6 of 16
7. Dinner is in full effect… Seafood pasta on its way.
7 of 16
8. Done! 😋😋😋
8 of 16
9. Perfectly southern with a little Cali flare!!! Topped my porchetta biscuit sandwich with a fried egg, red pepper jam, crystal hot sauce mayo and a drizzle of honey! Ahhhhhhhhhhh
9 of 16
10. Successful test day! They’re sweet, Super sticky and tender. Thanks for tasting @princessmom2363 !!! 😊😊😍
10 of 16
11. #theseasonedlife sweet chili shrimp with jicama, Serrano and a whole lot of love. Quick 10 minute dish. No #iceberg or #butterlettuce at the grocery store! What great travesty. 😂😂🤓
11 of 16
12. Before the roasting began! @amandahaascooks thank you so much for making our Christmas wishes come true alongside @williamssonoma #primerib
12 of 16
13. My pea soup with Kerrygold herb butter seared scallops!!!! #christmas2015 #theseasonedlife
13 of 16
14. My Lobster Salad w Spicy Serrano Avocado dressing! #FTW I think this one will more than pass for the cookbook! Sooo much flavor! In a salad at that!
14 of 16
15. Pillows of warm toasty mallow, pecans and brown sugar. Sweet potato casserole. #classic
15 of 16
16. Banana bread … Again! 🍌🍌🍌
16 of 16
Continue reading Beyoncé and Jay-Z Can’t Have “Blue Ivy” All To Themselves
Chef Curry: Every Time Ayesha Curry Was The Ultimate IG Foodie