Responding to the wave of euphoria surrounding President Barack Obama’s victory after a tough election campaign, House Republican leaders launched a rapid offensive in using the buzz word “fiscal cliff” to detail the economic woes of the country. Placing the responsibility squarely on the shoulders of Obama, Speaker of the House Jim Boehner made no secret of the GOP’s intention to make the imbalance of the economy the fault of the current administration. On Friday afternoon, President Obama appeared at the White House to address the nation’s fiscal health, promising a willingness to work with opposing voices but reiterated his call for balance and moderation.
Detailing what will be a part of his second-term agenda, President Obama appeared to still be in campaign mode after delivering a speech that nearly mirrored his stump talks on the trail. More importantly, Obama made sure to remind House Republicans that the American people elected both him and his policies on Tuesday.
As I said on Tuesday night, the American people voted for action not politics as usual. You elected us to focus on your jobs, not ours. And in that spirit I’ve invited leaders of both parties to the White House next week so we can start to build consensus around the challenges that we can only solve together.
And I also intend to bring in business and labor and civic leaders from all across the country here to Washington to get their ideas and input, as well. You know, at a time when our economy’s still recovering from the great recession, our top priority has to be jobs and growth. That’s the focus of the plan that I talked about during the campaign.
Obama was careful to mention job creation in both the private and public sectors and his willingness to work with small business and manufacturing companies in creating new employment opportunities.
There was also a heavy emphasis on infrastructure building, construction, and other moves that serve to have an impact on the sagging economy and low job numbers. Boehner was addressed by name in Obama’s speech, with the President mentioning that the pair will meet and discuss the agreed upon “tax revenue” conversation next week at the White House.
In summary, Obama put Congress on notice, saying it would be “bad for the economy” and struggling families if divided lawmakers could not agree to a sensible overall deficit-reduction package.
1. @_raiiney helping me put the sausage veggie medley into the processor earlier today for the @tylerflorence stuffing/spatchcock turkey! #success …
1 of 16
2. Orange Glazed Chicken Wings… First test. #hometestkitchen #theseasonedlife
2 of 16
3. Jerk turkey w mashed nutmeg squash. Sweet and savory! #theseasonedlife … (Side note: the portions are small because they’re tasting plates, eating all day LOL) 🐷💛💛💛
3 of 16
4. Done! Black pepper beef and broccoli, curry fried rice, honey shrimp and chicken lettuce wraps…. #homemade #theseasonedlife no takeout, takeout.
4 of 16
5. Made these insane porterhouse steaks with shallot and garlic. #theseasonedlife
5 of 16
6. Celebrating the oscars and my first go round as a judge on #grocerygames by using my Parmesan wheel @wholefoods gifted me!!! Pasta Carbonara w scratch made pasta!!!! (Tune in at 8pm west coast!!! On @foodnetwork )
6 of 16
7. Dinner is in full effect… Seafood pasta on its way.
7 of 16
8. Done! 😋😋😋
8 of 16
9. Perfectly southern with a little Cali flare!!! Topped my porchetta biscuit sandwich with a fried egg, red pepper jam, crystal hot sauce mayo and a drizzle of honey! Ahhhhhhhhhhh
9 of 16
10. Successful test day! They’re sweet, Super sticky and tender. Thanks for tasting @princessmom2363 !!! 😊😊😍
10 of 16
11. #theseasonedlife sweet chili shrimp with jicama, Serrano and a whole lot of love. Quick 10 minute dish. No #iceberg or #butterlettuce at the grocery store! What great travesty. 😂😂🤓
11 of 16
12. Before the roasting began! @amandahaascooks thank you so much for making our Christmas wishes come true alongside @williamssonoma #primerib
12 of 16
13. My pea soup with Kerrygold herb butter seared scallops!!!! #christmas2015 #theseasonedlife
13 of 16
14. My Lobster Salad w Spicy Serrano Avocado dressing! #FTW I think this one will more than pass for the cookbook! Sooo much flavor! In a salad at that!
14 of 16
15. Pillows of warm toasty mallow, pecans and brown sugar. Sweet potato casserole. #classic
15 of 16
16. Banana bread … Again! 🍌🍌🍌
16 of 16
Continue reading President Puts Congress On Notice With Fiscal Speech
Chef Curry: Every Time Ayesha Curry Was The Ultimate IG Foodie