As the scandal involving shamed former director of the CIA, David H. Petraeus, continues to reveal new layers by the hour, it appears that high-ranking officials in both the Justice Department and the F.B.I., including Attorney General Eric Holder, were reportedly aware of the affair between biographer Paula Broadwell and the retired Army general over the summer. With the news breaking last week amid the festive reelection of President Barack Obama, Petraeus’ admission of his personal indiscretion was a shock to many. As a result, Holder has once again become a target of criticism.
Various reports have pointed to the F.B.I. learning of the extramarital affair, but kept their findings internal as it was determined that the decorated war hero did not violate any national security laws, nor was there a potential for a breach. A New York Timesreport was especially thorough in detailing the timeline from late this summer until now, although details continue to develop outside of Petraeus and Broadwell. The affair was discovered after Jill Kelley (nee Khawam) alerted the F.B.I. after receiving threatening emails from Broadwell regarding Petraues, according to various news outlets. Kelly and her husband, Scott, revealed in a statement they were close friends of the Petraues family.
Attorney General Holder, already contending with earlier issues in his high-profile role, has been under fire after not making the decision to share his findings and opening a subsequent investigation. President Obama did not know about the Petraeus matter until a day after vanquishing his Republican foe Mitt Romney on Election Day – raising red flags in the minds of Holder’s many detractors who want to see him replaced. After the botched “Fast And Furious” operation under Holder’s command, Republican lawmakers have been rabid in their desire to take down the Attorney General. This latest fiasco has galvanized the chorus of voices calling for a replacement, shaking up Obama’s rapidly morphing cabinet.
1. @_raiiney helping me put the sausage veggie medley into the processor earlier today for the @tylerflorence stuffing/spatchcock turkey! #success …
1 of 16
2. Orange Glazed Chicken Wings… First test. #hometestkitchen #theseasonedlife
2 of 16
3. Jerk turkey w mashed nutmeg squash. Sweet and savory! #theseasonedlife … (Side note: the portions are small because they’re tasting plates, eating all day LOL) 🐷💛💛💛
3 of 16
4. Done! Black pepper beef and broccoli, curry fried rice, honey shrimp and chicken lettuce wraps…. #homemade #theseasonedlife no takeout, takeout.
4 of 16
5. Made these insane porterhouse steaks with shallot and garlic. #theseasonedlife
5 of 16
6. Celebrating the oscars and my first go round as a judge on #grocerygames by using my Parmesan wheel @wholefoods gifted me!!! Pasta Carbonara w scratch made pasta!!!! (Tune in at 8pm west coast!!! On @foodnetwork )
6 of 16
7. Dinner is in full effect… Seafood pasta on its way.
7 of 16
8. Done! 😋😋😋
8 of 16
9. Perfectly southern with a little Cali flare!!! Topped my porchetta biscuit sandwich with a fried egg, red pepper jam, crystal hot sauce mayo and a drizzle of honey! Ahhhhhhhhhhh
9 of 16
10. Successful test day! They’re sweet, Super sticky and tender. Thanks for tasting @princessmom2363 !!! 😊😊😍
10 of 16
11. #theseasonedlife sweet chili shrimp with jicama, Serrano and a whole lot of love. Quick 10 minute dish. No #iceberg or #butterlettuce at the grocery store! What great travesty. 😂😂🤓
11 of 16
12. Before the roasting began! @amandahaascooks thank you so much for making our Christmas wishes come true alongside @williamssonoma #primerib
12 of 16
13. My pea soup with Kerrygold herb butter seared scallops!!!! #christmas2015 #theseasonedlife
13 of 16
14. My Lobster Salad w Spicy Serrano Avocado dressing! #FTW I think this one will more than pass for the cookbook! Sooo much flavor! In a salad at that!
14 of 16
15. Pillows of warm toasty mallow, pecans and brown sugar. Sweet potato casserole. #classic
15 of 16
16. Banana bread … Again! 🍌🍌🍌
16 of 16
Continue reading Eric Holder, Other High-Ranking Officials Were Aware Of Petraeus Affair Since The Summer
Chef Curry: Every Time Ayesha Curry Was The Ultimate IG Foodie