LL Cool J says he is not catering to the children with his forthcoming album, Authentic Hip-Hop. Speaking with Rolling Stone, the legendary emcee discussed how “mature” his new project is and how he is “not pandering to chase teenagers.” This is for their mamas, daddies, uncles, and aunties.
“It’s real natural and true, and it’s really me being myself,” LL Cool J told Rolling Stone of the album – his first since 2008′s Exit 13 – during rehearsals for tonight’s CBS’ Grammy Nominations Concert Live, which he’s co-hosting with Taylor Swift. “It’s mature. I’m not pandering to chase teenagers. They’re welcome to listen to it, but it’s really a record for their parents . . . But it’s for their parents who know the words to ‘Rapper’s Delight,’ know the words to ‘The Message,’ know my songs, know my music.”
Luckily for fans of the rapper’s old-school, irreverent rhymes, relating to an audience that’s his own age doesn’t mean he’s dropping his trademark jocularity. “Some of it’s stupid, some of it’s funny, some of it’s mindless, brainless. And some of it is quite profound and a little bit more advanced and challenging intellectually,” he says of Authentic Hip-Hop’s 15 tracks, which vary from foot-stomping club jams to smooth ballads and some biting commentary on contemporary hip-hop’s status quo.
Here’s some of the lighter side of the new project:
1. @_raiiney helping me put the sausage veggie medley into the processor earlier today for the @tylerflorence stuffing/spatchcock turkey! #success …
1 of 16
2. Orange Glazed Chicken Wings… First test. #hometestkitchen #theseasonedlife
2 of 16
3. Jerk turkey w mashed nutmeg squash. Sweet and savory! #theseasonedlife … (Side note: the portions are small because they’re tasting plates, eating all day LOL) 🐷💛💛💛
3 of 16
4. Done! Black pepper beef and broccoli, curry fried rice, honey shrimp and chicken lettuce wraps…. #homemade #theseasonedlife no takeout, takeout.
4 of 16
5. Made these insane porterhouse steaks with shallot and garlic. #theseasonedlife
5 of 16
6. Celebrating the oscars and my first go round as a judge on #grocerygames by using my Parmesan wheel @wholefoods gifted me!!! Pasta Carbonara w scratch made pasta!!!! (Tune in at 8pm west coast!!! On @foodnetwork )
6 of 16
7. Dinner is in full effect… Seafood pasta on its way.
7 of 16
8. Done! 😋😋😋
8 of 16
9. Perfectly southern with a little Cali flare!!! Topped my porchetta biscuit sandwich with a fried egg, red pepper jam, crystal hot sauce mayo and a drizzle of honey! Ahhhhhhhhhhh
9 of 16
10. Successful test day! They’re sweet, Super sticky and tender. Thanks for tasting @princessmom2363 !!! 😊😊😍
10 of 16
11. #theseasonedlife sweet chili shrimp with jicama, Serrano and a whole lot of love. Quick 10 minute dish. No #iceberg or #butterlettuce at the grocery store! What great travesty. 😂😂🤓
11 of 16
12. Before the roasting began! @amandahaascooks thank you so much for making our Christmas wishes come true alongside @williamssonoma #primerib
12 of 16
13. My pea soup with Kerrygold herb butter seared scallops!!!! #christmas2015 #theseasonedlife
13 of 16
14. My Lobster Salad w Spicy Serrano Avocado dressing! #FTW I think this one will more than pass for the cookbook! Sooo much flavor! In a salad at that!
14 of 16
15. Pillows of warm toasty mallow, pecans and brown sugar. Sweet potato casserole. #classic
15 of 16
16. Banana bread … Again! 🍌🍌🍌
16 of 16
Continue reading LL Cool J: New Album Won’t Pander To Teens
Chef Curry: Every Time Ayesha Curry Was The Ultimate IG Foodie